Nov 8, 2006

Sports Voting

A nice, non-controversial, semi-election-related story I liked from Morning Edition today:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6454528

"Hey I just voted 18 times already today for the NHL comeback player of the week, the poker all-stars, and whether or not my baseball team should try to buy a Japanese pitcher. Let somebody else pull the levers for my governor or senator; I've done my job as a responsible American voter."

Who knew there was a minor league team who had fans vote for the starting line-up? Who's awful idea was that? Though apparently it wasn't that serious of an idea when it started out. According to a Boston Globe article about the team, "The project's backers said they were surprised they could persuade a real baseball team to play along." Democracy at it's finest.

No comments: