Nov 6, 2006

I'm leaning more left by the second...

It's been a long time since I've had a good political discussion. Meaning a discussion with people that know what they're talking about. It was Emilee and me representing Gandhi versus Steffanie and Owen representing Hitler.

Melanie comes into the room for a second and says, "Andrea, I need to talk to you." I go into her room and she says, "I don't want to get into involved here, but: Steffanie and Owen are for No Child Left Behind??!! Are you kidding me?!" Because let's be honest, the only good thing about the act is it has a nice name. Because I'm not for leaving children behind, of course.

I'll admit my deep dark secret: If there was not an explicit church stance against it, I would be strongly in favor of legalized gay marriage. It makes so much more sense to me for reasons I won't discuss here, because my real stance is just to trust God on this one.

I lose respect for people when I hear things like, "I don't see how any good Mormon can justify voting Democrat." And this is from a guy who wasn't born and raised in Utah and swears he would never raise his kids in Utah. Your typical Utah natives are much worse. It's a rampant problem that I've always had issues with, but has become really grating since coming to BYU.

It's weird to be on the liberal side of things when most of my life I've argued the other side. A big part of it is the natural inclination to have all sides represented, and you have to be the liberal if you want all sides in on the conversation in this state. But I need to spend more time constructing arguments to get any good at this; I intend to spend some serious time researching political theories over the next bit of my life so that I can be a proper liberal. And then move somewhere liberal and be the best conservative you ever met.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about the exact same things all day. I have never been on the left side of any argurment in my life, until last night...those dang right winged crazies!!!

emilee