Nov 29, 2006

I don't know what the answer is.

A post that's really had me thinking from...well, from the ex-boyfriend's best friend's blog (Even though I don't personally know him, I've long enjoyed Mac's blog and I've added a link to it on my site because a) he discusses interesting things, b) he updates fairly regularly and I don't have enough friends that do that to keep me entertained, and c) it's an attempt to make it look like I have male friends, when we all know that I don't (this is also why I have a link to Jeff Lund's blog, even though he's on a mission in Brazil and obviously won't be updating there).):

http://wuapinmon.blogspot.com/2006/11/status-of-new-orleans-recovery-school.html

For a long time it has been a dream of mine to teach in a school like this. I'm sure it would burn me out quickly, but if I could help a single student make something better of his or her life, it would be worth it. There are so many kids out there who have no idea of their potential, and if there was any possible way that I could help them reach it...I don't know if I could do much, but it's certainly a cause that's worth putting a full effort into.

I'm going to school to be a teacher. I forget this too often. I get so caught up in the little bits of school: I'm writing this paper for a grade. Grades are horrible motivation for me. I've never been able to care about them that much. But I really want to teach. After parents, I would say school teachers have the most influence on who a child grows up to be. And it's not just helping people get a diploma (which undoubtedly helps their employment chances). Learning brings confidence like nothing else does. Confidence changes lives, making success feel not completely out of the question.

I don't know how to recover situations like the New Orleans Recovery School. The problems in harder-off areas is the complacency. The attitude is what needs to change the most; kids need to be excited about learning. I don't know how to change that. But I know it's changeable. Though I've never been complacent about learning, I've certainly had my phases of complacency about school, and gotten out of them (only to fall back in again and again, but that's a different story). Goal-setting and looking at the big picture do wonders, though. I'm going to be a teacher and change lives...okay, back to homework.

No comments: