Nov 14, 2006

More Stressed Than I've Been In A Long Time

Every week at work they have a stress management class that meets for a half-hour. It basically consists of a lady telling you to get more and more relaxed as she counts to ten slowly over and over again.

I've never gone because it seems like a waste of time. Work has never stressed me out. But today is my birthday, so I thought I'd treat myself to thirty minutes of relaxation. Bad idea.

I don't know what to blame it on. Maybe I'm getting sick and just sitting there thinking about nothing brought out the symptoms that I'm too busy to notice in the real world. Maybe it's my low blood pressure and relaxing like that meant my body wasn't getting the blood it needed. I don't know, but during that session and now an hour later...I feel horrible. I'm nauseated and I'm seldom nauseated. I have a headache and I haven't had a headache for years. And I never have menstrual cramps this late in the cycle, but they are definitely there. I honestly thought I was going to pass out or vomit during the entire class. It was awful.

And the lady was convinced that I must be one of those high strung people that can't handle relaxation and wouldn't believe me when I told her that I have no problem relaxing in normal situations and it's just this situation that somehow causes me to think nothing but "lower back pain" and "dizzy".

No comments: