Jun 25, 2007

Mostly for Laura...but other Gatsby fans are welcome

Today I was innocently walking with Trevor to Sterling's apartment when it struck me: four days ago was the longest day of the year. I missed it. I gasped audibly with the realization then made an awkward explanation for my noise: "I missed the longest day of the year! I should've planned something...have you read The Great Gatsby?"

One of these days, especially if Laura Merwin and I ever happen to be in the same state on a June 21st, I'm having a 1920s-themed party on the longest day of the year. And it's going to be awesome. (P.S. Laura, I miss you. With our powers combined we have such a grand time...also, would you post something already on your blog? It's been over two months since you last updated...just a friendly reminder.)

A little excerpt from the first chapter of The Great Gatsby for those confused:

"Why candles?” objected Daisy, frowning. She snapped them out with her fingers. “In two weeks it’ll be the longest day in the year.” She looked at us all radiantly. “Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day in the year and then miss it.”
“We ought to plan something,” yawned Miss Baker, sitting down at the table as if she were getting into bed.
“All right,” said Daisy. “What’ll we plan?” She turned to me helplessly: “What do people plan?”

It's such a good way to introduce Daisy's character. Way to go, F. Scott.

No comments: