Oct 12, 2005

long set of randomness again

(originally posted at eclaircie.diaryland.com)
  • I had one of those illuminating realization of differentiation moments yesterday. The Aryans are totally a different group of people than the Arians. It’s one of those things that I’d never really caught before and suddenly everything makes sense. It feels like that moment a couple of years ago when I realized that the Balkans and the Baltic nations are totally different parts of Europe. My favorite story about non-realization of differentiation is how Nate spent most of his life not realizing the difference between Norway and Normandy. “I spent so much time thinking, ‘How does invading Norway help them get to France?’ And when I finally figured it out, WWII replayed itself in my mind and made sense for the fist time ever.”And you just sit there for a second with your mouth half-open (even though I actually hate that phrase; I mean, you’re either open or closed, right? No halves about it.). And your mind registers nothing but a long “Ohhhhhhhh.”’
  • I don’t care if you’re a musician or whatever your excuse is, males should not wear makeup. Or at least not noticeable-in-the-slightest makeup. I guess I’ll let you do a little bit of stage makeup or something, but only on those rare occasions that actually call for it.
  • One of the many perks of working custodial is that you get to trash dig. That new purse I have? I’m not going to lie, it totally came out of one of the secretaries trash cans. It’s a fine purse, though, just a little tear that nobody would notice unless they’d just found the purse in the trash and had been examining it closely for defects. I haven’t used it yet, but Emilee has and enjoyed it and came home saying it’s “the perfect size for anything”, which doesn’t make sense, but, oh well. Also, I get Time magazine out of the trash every week. It’s like subscribing except I don’t have to pay and it comes a week late. But still, it’s a good deal.
  • Man, I’m such a sporadic eater and sleeper. No set schedule at all. I know it’s not healthy, but, just recognizing that apparently isn’t changing things.
  • I desperately need to go shoe shopping before it gets any colder. All I have right now in the closed-toe department is a pair of tennis shoes that are falling apart and three pairs of heels. For, as any girl will tell you, even though the ratio of days she wears dress shoes to days she doesn’t is around 1:11, the ratio of normal shoes she owns to dress shoes is around 1:23848590. Dress shoes are just so cute and fun to shop for. They’re impossible to resist.
  • “That’s how I always fix things; just hit them until they start working again. It works for my kids, shy shouldn’t it work for a computer?” – Dr. Hamblin
  • It sucks getting older and seeing people you knew in more innocent years drinking themselves silly, sleeping with whoever comes around, coming out of closets, doing drugs, mutilating themselves, getting addicted to gambling, etc. etc. etc. And all I can do is sit here and sigh up a storm. (Whoa, wouldn’t that be awesome if I literally could sigh up a storm? I’d have at least twenty more friends).
  • My Tuesday evenings at 8 are reserved so that I can watch Supernatural with Emily. Not that I especially care for the show, but she’s too scared to watch by herself and I’m the sucker that she’s roped into joining her every time. I’ve never religiously followed a show, but I think I’ll probably end up watching every episode of this one this season. It’s not that great of a show, though.
  • I spent my time in class coming up with a playlist for if I’m in charge of music for Prom day next year at day camp. Megan did the music last year and it was horrible. It was mostly good music, but not right for the setting at all. First of all, you need to do stuff that’s easy to dance to, because the whole point is for the kids to dance. Second, you need to play music that the kids know. People like what they’re are familiar with, music-wise. Especially kids. Which means that it’s perfectly okay to play Hillary Duff, etc. Just get over it and play what the kids want, the camp is for them. Also, stuff like the Macarena and the Chicken Dance with set dances to them are a very good idea, because then the kids all know what to do and even the less-confident ones dance. And I obviously threw in a couple of songs that I know line dances to, so I could teach the kids/show off how cool I am. This is all very typical of the random tasks that I come up with for myself in class.
  • Nerd^nth? That’s why we are friends.
  • I never went through the horse-obsession phase that many girls did in elementary school. I was busy checking out all the books in the library on cats and occasionally books on various marine mammals. But who needs horses? They aren’t nearly as cute as cats or dolphins.

No comments: