Feb 11, 2006

Yet another random thoughts compiled while supposed to be doing homework entry

(originally posted at eclaircie.diaryland.com)

The eye people have determined that my sister Kayla is colorblind. None of the eye doctors in Ridgecrest have ever seen a colorblind female before. But actually Nate figured out the Mendelian statistics of it all, and apparently half of the female children in my family should be colorblind. I’m glad I’m not.

My junior and especially senior years of high school were spent listening to NPR. I basically always had it on if there wasn’t anything else going on. I think it was kind of an awakening time for me. I give credit to NPR for making me think about the world outside of mine, especially the political world, for the first time in my life. I mean, I was always an avid newspaper reader and such, but that was the Daily Independent for most of my life, so, no credit there. For a while there, I could even recognize most of the reporters voices for All Things Considered, Marketplace, and Morning Edition. I kind of miss those days. And even to this day, the All Things Considered theme song somehow just does something for me. I hear it and I’m suddenly driving around West Lafayette, Indiana, a lot of the time. I should start listening regularly again.

So I compulsively buy educational children’s books. Everyone has a compulsive buyer weakness. This just happens to be mine.

Jared and Nate got braces a few days ago. Marsha’s very excited about it because she’s held a long belief that my parents don’t care about how their children look and will never pay for something like braces or acne medicine or clothes or hair products. And she is a thirteen-year-old girl, meaning she’s the most emotional thing on the planet and cries on a regular basis about things like her crooked teeth. Never tell her something like “that shirt doesn’t really go with that skirt.” She will cry and not speak to you for days. But braces have been a sore spot for her for years. I’ve certainly learned not to ever say my teeth are crooked or I need braces in front of her, for nobody wants to hear the tirade: “But you still have the best teeth in the family! You could probably even get married without going through braces! The rest of us have no hope of that! Look at my teeth! Gahhh, but don’t look at them…who could ever love THIS??!!”

From the processors in the back who are all of course not working and instead putting extensive effort into deciding what Brit-Marie should name her baby: “Andrea is not a hot girl name.” Ouch. But oh well, and least they’re not working and I won’t have any of their finished paperwork to image.

As it gets closer to tomorrow, I’m realizing how dang scary it is to speak in sacrament meeting. I’ve never spoken as not a youth speaker before. I kind of like the attention, but…what are you supposed to say? And it’s worse in a single’s ward. You feel like everyone’s judging you because they’re all your peers. And the truth of the matter is: several of them are. How much judging have I done when people speak in sacrament meeting? A lot.


The last few days I’ve wanted to change my major to math. I’m sure it’s just one of those phases I go through, but still. Math. It’s just so cool. I think it’s my math modeling professor’s fault. He’s such a horrible teacher that I just want to be a math teacher because I would be so much better than him. And math is just so pretty. All the numbers and symbols and it’s all so logical and…wouldn’t it just be really fun to take a bunch of math classes? And I’ve forgotten so much about calculus and such and it makes me really sad.

No comments: