Dec 8, 2005

Ready to March...Hi Ho Silver!

(originally posted at eclaircie.diaryland.com)

Emilee had an orchestra concert last night. Of course the best piece was titled something like “Christmas Extravaganza Festival Overture Spectacular” and involved audience sing-a-long to popular Christmas tunes. And one point where everyone in the orchestra shouts “Merry Christmas!” and you know that they all hate it and realize it’s the lamest thing ever, but still conductors insist on those stupid yell out things occasionally. I don’t know why. The best one I’ve ever heard of was someone’s high school orchestra (I don’t remember who…Melanie’s maybe?), they had to yell “Hi ho Silver!” during the grand pause in William Tell Overture. Such a bad idea.

And they played the Adagietto movement from Mahler’s 5th Symphony. I’d never heard it before, but am now a huge fan. I don’t know if I was just emotional last night or what, but I was crying during the whole thing. And thinking about all the happiest moments in my life, or at least trying to think of them, but I could only think of two. But it was just a really pretty piece, okay?

And of course I spent a lot of time in envy of the people in the orchestra. And I’ve decided I’m trying out for marching band next year. I really am. Who says I can’t be involved in extracurricular activities in college? Just because I haven’t been before, that doesn’t mean anything. And I’m totally excited for it. I wish I could also do real band or orchestra, but there are a ton of flute-playing music majors and they get priority in auditions, meaning I couldn’t get in. Except to the University Band, which is audition-less and everyone gets in…meaning that it sucks. But marching band, mmm, it’ll feel good to do that again.

No comments: