Dec 20, 2006

Person of the Year

Yesterday Time announced their Person of the Year for 2006, and it's "you" or really: us. At first I thought it was pretty lame, but after reading the aritcle and thinking about it, I like it. The world has been revolutionized very quickly into this web community where you and I have our place. The popularity of sites like Wikipedia and YouTube and Myspace has exploded and suddenly everybody's a part of a mass cultural movement. It's amazing really. Never has the world been this connected to itself. The sheer amount of information and entertainment on the internet is mind-boggling. And it'll be nice in future job interviews and resumes to be able to say that I was Time's Person of the Year.


Who are these people? Seriously, who actually sits down after a long day at work and says, I'm not going to watch Lost tonight. I'm going to turn on my computer and make a movie starring my pet iguana? I'm going to mash up 50 Cent's vocals with Queen's instrumentals? I'm going to blog about my state of mind or the state of the nation or the steak-frites at the new bistro down the street? Who has that time and that energy and that passion? The answer is, you do.

And Than Shwe will just have to wait another year to have this shot at glory: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/56424

No comments: