Jan 26, 2006

Natie!!!....oh man, just realized I had an entriy titled the exact same thing back in like...May-ish

(originally posted at eclaircie.diaryland.com)

Just because I know you're all like me and can't get enough of the kid, here's an e-mail from Nate:

"Well I've decided that myspace is a phenomenal waste of time, so I probably wont need Emilee’s tutorial. And your sneaky suspicion was completely wrong. I only joined myspace because there was a possibility that she had a myspace and that's completely different. She doesn't have one and I've invited her, but she hasn't joined. But she will. I know because I asked the magic eight ball program that I wrote on my calculator and it said she would. I've basically become the ultimate calculator programming nerd. The number one cause of my lack of sleep is that I spend too much time programming. Let me just list to you my programs:

CF converts temperature from C to F.

CGRS ok remember my girl rating system, I've made it on my calc and now have a top secret feature where at some point I enter a secret number that makes it clear all of my answers so that no one can find out what I wrote.

COOL ok this is my work and my glory, you can ask Dalby, I’ve spent a majority of my math class for like a month making this. It consists of an A that can shoot an O or three O's at an x that moves randomly. It takes two hits to kill it and it keeps track of how long it takes to kill it and even keeps track of the high score. I'm still constantly adding new features.

DL shows pictures I drew of our drumline and makes them play the beginning of our warm-ups.

Done doesn't do anything it just says "Done".

FC converts F to C.

Gtky does something useful when programming that I don't want to explain.

HMWK isn't really a program, it’s just where I store my homework assignments.

IN calculates interest.

M8B is a magic eight ball.

PROGRAM is a variation on my program Greg Burgeven made. In his there is and X value and you have to guess it and if you guess wrong it says nope and if you guess right it says hizza! But in mine there is no X, it’s just to make stupid people keep guessing.

QD is a really good quadratic formula program. It not only displays the answers, but it displays what it would look like in the radical and everything.

RGRS stands for real girl rating system. It only has one category: body.

RMOV is a random movement experimental program that helped me figure out how to make the X in COOL. I just today made an addition to it so that when it starts moving in one direction, it is more likely to continue in that direction.

SYNTH does synthetic division for me.

So suffice it to say I waste a lot of time. I probably need to purge my calculator of useless programs, I do this every week or so.

By the way, you’re crazy if you actually read this all.

Nathan"

Man, he's such a nerd and I adore the kid. Totally my favorite sibling (but don't tell anyone).

And I love that he has a girl rating system and it's almost the same thing as my guy rating system, but we came up with them independently and then sheepishly admitted to each other that we had a system and then were like “Whoa! Me, too!!! Well…how embarrassing.” Though mine has always been more based on ranking guys against each other in the categories (like there can only be one number 1, 2, etc.) and his is just giving a score of 1-10 in each category. But we had almost the same weighting system for categories and stuff. And once it was out we got all sorts of good ideas about how to do it (“I’d never thought of having ‘body’, ‘face’, ‘hair’….mine had always just been the one heavily-weighted category ‘looks’….you’re a genius!” “Yeah, well you had ‘school smarts’ and ‘basic intelligence’ separate…pure genius!”).

And I may or may not have run through a guy ranking in my Math Modeling class the other day for the first time in a long time. But hey…it’s modeling the world I live in through mathematics, and that’s what the class is all about, yes? And I would share results, but the three males that read this were each on there and that would just be embarrassing.

No comments: