Aug 25, 2008

Joe Biden, come on down!

Maybe it's just something weird in me, but I don't feel like the campaign has truly begun until the bumper stickers have two names on them. So here he is, finally: a new character in presidential news. This is good because it's the same thing over and over again (note to the media: this does NOT mean that I care about Brett Farve), and we need a new character to spice things up. (The previous sentence was originally something about how Derrick and Meredith keep doing the same thing over and over again and we need Addison to show up...but it didn't seem appropriate at all when proofreading).

My first thought when it was announced Sen. Biden would be the vice presidential nominee was: "oh, one of those old northeastern senators", but I've done a little research now. Upon reviewing my own blog archives, I discovered that during a certain debate I was impressed with Biden's knowledge. Which means he's perfect. While they never say it, the Obama team's goal is to be the anti-Bush. Displaying knowledge/intelligence is key to this.

The biggest plus is the experience factor, though. The biggest argument against Obama will always be that he's too inexperience (which makes him too idealistic, etc.), but by teaming up with Biden, he shows that he's smart enough to surround himself with experienced people, which is exactly what he will need to do if elected president. If I did my math correctly, Sen. Biden has been in Congress for 14 years longer than old-timer Sen. McCain. Plus he's better looking (which shouldn't actually be a factor, but let's be honest, it effects us all to some degree).

And I think it's cute (maybe not the right word, but I couldn't think of a better one) that Sen. Biden was once a young senator (even a young senator running for a presidential nomination in 1988). It just gives all these warm fuzzy feelings of the mentor. Most of which probably aren't founded on much, but you can't help it.

No comments: