Apr 17, 2011

Let's Talk Lipstick

I am a fan of lipstick on other people when done right. Whenever I wear it, however, I feel silly unless it's involved in a costume of some sort. I don't know if this is because I haven't figured out how to do it right yet, or if I just don't have the guts for it. If it's the former, please help me figure this stuff out. If it's the latter, I need a little encouragement.

Or maybe lipstick is just a bad idea. I have a very difficult time not ending up with some on my teeth. And I'm skeptical about claims of long-lasting-ness. I talk and eat and drink and kiss and make faces with my lips so much that I just can't imagine it can stay on for long without wearing off.

And what's the deal with lip-liner? When you read beauty magazines or talk to department store makeup people about lipstick, they always seem to recommend it, but it seems iffy to me in real life. I really don't want the lip-liner-without-lipstick look when/if the lipstick part wears off. I don't know. I've never really worn lip-liner.

Figuring out shades is difficult, too. I've been told I have cool coloring so I need more pink/purple tones. I've been told I have warm coloring so I need more brown/red/orange tones. I'm guessing this means that nobody knows what they're talking about and I'm pretty neutrally-shaded. Which should mean I can wear whatever tones I like. But I mostly just feel like nothing looks that good on me. Here are the six colors I currently own:

Now out to you dear readers: What are your thoughts on lipsick? Any recommendations for me?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like that go currant color on you. It looks very dressy.
The thing that has helped me the most with lipstick is basically deciding I don't care what others think I look like and layering my lipgloss over it for the first little while. It helps me get used to a color.

Rachael said...

I don't like how lipstick feels on me, but I've started liking the look. I read on a blog about lip stains, which have the pigmentation without the pasty feel of lipstick, which is what I hate. I don't like Cover Girl's, because it feels like you're rubbing a sharpie on your lips, but I love love love the Revlon Just Bitten ones. They feel smooth going on, feel like nothing on, and have a balm for shine. Or if I want lots of shine I just use gloss. The colors are intense, and you have to have smooth lips (so I've also started exfoliating my lips a couple times a week with a sugar lip scrub from the C.O. Bigelow line at Bath & Body Works). It's fun though. My students think I'm crazy when I wear them to work though. Of course, they also think I'm crazy because I listen to the same music they do (probably because most of their parents are about my age).

And in typing this, I'm realizing how high maintenance I've become in the last couple months.

Anonymous said...

I like the volcanic color. It looks like it could possibly be your real color. The other ones look more obvious.

Erin said...

I thought the Volcanic (for less formal but still dressy occasions) and the Currant (for dressy SHAZAM outings) looked great. And since I saw those two in the other comments, I think those are your winners! You can definitely pull both of those off no problems at ALL. The other ones look just fine, but those two look really really good. I should do this too...except I'd have to buy some lipstick...

NJ said...

I really like the currant color. But, I also like the other two in the bottom row. I'm also a bit relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who struggles with lipstick..I tend to stick with gloss and stains, myself.

M said...

I think Volcanic and Currant look great on you. I'm not a big fan of lipstick, until I see other girls wearing it and get wildly jealous of how cute it is. As far as recommendations go, I saw this and wanted to try it because I think red lipstick looks so classic and chique...

http://www.elle.com/Beauty/Makeup-Skin-Care/Red-Alert

Trev said...

French words are dumb. Andrea is hot.

Cassie said...

I'm with you, I feel stupid wearing lipstick, but I rarely look at other people wearing it and think they look stupid. For you I really like the Go Current for evening/night, but I like the lighter ones for day wear. Just own it. I have discovered that you can pull anything off with a little confidence, which I believe you are capable of.

Courtney said...

I like the soft peony, and heather shimmer for everday wear. volcanic for spring fun, and go currant for when you want to feel fancy!!